Sunday, February 7, 2010

Overheard at the Commissary

I decided to swing by the Commissary (grocery store for military members) on the way home from watching the Super Bowl today. I figured that hardly any one would be there so soon after the finish of game. I was right, and got a prime parking spot near the exit. Score! I wish the Super Bowl happened more often. Grocery shopping would be a delight.

As I walked up and down the almost people-free aisles, I realized that I could easily hear people's conversations. There wasn't the hum of a couple hundred people as background noise. As I studied the V8 Fusion selections on the shelf, a dad and his young son walked behind me. They were talking as they approached me and then I heard the child say, "It's kind of like when you fell off the wagon, Dad!" I could tell the dad almost choked and he darted a panicked look at me. "You mean, when I fell 'out of' the wagon," he corrected. "When we were playing I fell 'out of' the wagon." I couldn't help it, but I smirked. The kid repeated earnestly, "Yeah, Dad, when you fell off the wagon."

The dad shot me a embarrassed smile and just shook his head in resignation.

Language is a fun thing.

No comments: