Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Insert Charlie Brown "Aaugh!" here


I just messed an assignment up at work. This pains me to no end. I pride myself on how hard I work and how I pay attention to detail while continuing to work efficiently. I know that I would not have been able to maintain my long-distance editing gig if I hadn't demonstrated those abilities to my overlords over the last two and half years, so I take a little solace in that. But because my track record is so good, when I mess something up it crushes me. Today's screw up is particularly frustrating - I can't believe that I made an error that was so readily discoverable. I'm hoping that my handlers have some compassion for me when they get into work tomorrow morning to read my e-mailed admission of wrong-doing.

It's not like I negligently sent state secrets to the North Koreans or anything, I just didn't include some content that needed to go into the documents I was editing. But when the project has a deadline looming, as this one does, it eats up valuable time to go over the documents a second time. I also worry that the-powers-that-be might being to question the quality of my other work. I know that's a big leap, as they regularly tell me I do great work, but that fear is there. I'm glad that Zac is going to have a busy day at work tomorrow so I can spend a long, long day working and correcting my errors.

But on the upside I made a blueberry coffee cake tonight, and it is delicious. So at least I've got that going for me.

No comments: