Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My first San Diego job rejection

I applied for my first job in San Diego a few weeks ago. It was a Federal job, doing something with processing medical claims for some Navy legal outfit. I figured I might be a decent fit as I, 1.) have a legal background, and 2.) I've worked in a hospital laboratory entering billing information for tests, so I have a least some familiarity with insurances and medical terminology. There aren't many jobs that I think I qualify for, so I was rather excited to see this one posted.

The joy of applying for jobs in the 21st century, especially through usajobs.com, is that you almost always have to apply electronically, meaning that your application goes off into the ether, perhaps never knowing if anyone received it or looked at it. I've applied for at least six or seven Federal jobs out here in Hawaii and aside from the "we received your application" e-mail, which is at least some sort of welcome communication, I haven't heard anything back from any of them. Not even rejections. I know the great machine of bureaucracy moves slowly, but I'm assuming that I didn't get those jobs.

So it was much to my frustration, and bizarre pleasure, that I got a rejection e-mail this morning. I didn't get the job, but at least I heard back from them within a month(!!!) and don't have to sit around wondering what became of the application.

With the economy and job market as they are right now, I know I'm going to face an uphill battle finding employment in San Diego. With the number of people that apply for any given vacancy, I have to believe that employers are probably able to pick people who have exactly the job experience and skill set needed for a particular opening. For example, the job I just applied for: I'm guessing there were at least a few people that applied for that job who have specifically processed medical claims before. Employers are going to go with a known product that is almost a sure bet of a fit -- they're not going to take the time to pour over resumes, evaluating them, looking for people that they think might be able to do the job based on other job experience.

I'm still working as a contractor for a legal publisher, so I'm not too freaked out about employment until maybe the end of the year, but it would be nice to get back into an office-type setting working 40hrs/week. I miss having coworkers and it's been three years since I've worn some of the items in my closet since working from my living room doesn't require "work casual".

1 comment:

Austin Gorton said...

Yeah, I remember during my last job hunt reaching the point where I wasn't even looking for interviews, just rejections, just to know SOMEONE had looked at my application. I mean, how hard is it to mail out a "thanks but no thanks" postcard or email?