Monday, May 13, 2013

Proud that MN is my home

As I have moved around to different parts of the United States, I am frequently reminded of how much I miss Minnesota and how proud I am to have been raised there.  Today was another one of those days where I burst with Minnesota pride.

For those that don't know, Minnesota's Senate passed a bill today that will legalize gay marriage.  Our House passed it last week.  Now it is on to Gov. Dayton's office where he says he will sign it into law, maybe as early as Thursday.  

I have friends who are gay.  Dear, dear friends whom I love with all of my heart.  Some of them have been in committed relationships twice as long as I have been with my husband.  Some of them have children. And now they will have the opportunity to enjoy the legal protections that Zac and I share.  They will be able to celebrate in front of their families and friends and have an officiant say, "By the power invested in me by the State of Minnesota" and know that our state does, indeed, recognize them - their relationship, their family, their commitment, their love.

One of my friends, who has been in a committed relationship with her partner for more than a decade, posted this exchange she had with her eight-year-old son the other day:


Son: "What's the American dream mom?"
Mom: "Well, it means different things to different people but usually to have a home and a good job and be happy."
Son: "Seriously, it should be to have a great family like ours. Not to have money or anything. That way you can be rich with love."


That sums it up pretty well.

Congratulations, Minnesota.  I am so proud of you.  




No comments: