Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ethel and the Morning Show

I grew up in a house that regularly listened to Minnesota Public Radio. (MPR) It was on in the mornings with the Morning Show. It was on in the evenings with All Things Considered. It was on weekends with everything from Sound Money to Car Talk to A Prairie Home Companion. I will steadfastly attest that listening to all that quality radio made me a better person. It made me aware of different music, the world around me, humor, and it made me use my brain. Our National Public Radio system is a national treasure and we all should be grateful for it.

I could devote a couple of entries to MPR, and perhaps I will in the future. A couple weeks ago I tracked down the Hawaii Public Radio channels here - one classical music, one news. It was comforting. Then, last week I saw a headline on Startribune.com that read:

MPR's "The Morning Show," to end Dec. 11

My heart sank. I haven't listened to the show in a long while, but I hold it dear to my heart. It was the show that was on every morning as our family got ready for the day. It was always on in the kitchen, playing from the radio stashed on the top of the fridge. I knew where were in the course of the morning based on what was playing. I knew if it was a news update, it was the top of the hour. If I heard the intro music to "Poole on Sports" I knew we needed to get out to the bus stop, because we were just about to be late. Dale and Jim were voices that I knew as well as anyone's. They were calming, entertaining - just what we wanted as we eased into our days.

I hopped over to MPR's site to get some details about the show's end. They're going to have a big final show at the Fitz to celebrate. I wish I could be there. Just to hear "Lime Jello, Marshmallow, Cottage Cheese Surprise" one more time. Or "Waltzing with Bears." Or something with mandolins or harps.

Or Ethel.

Ethel Merman. If not for the Morning Show, I might have never heard of her. I'm guessing most of the people reading this blog haven't. She was an actress -- movies, Broadway. And she sang. Her voice was big as a house. Some people can't stand her. I adore her. She sang loud and uninhibited. She was born to be in musicals. Annie Get Your Gun. Anything Goes. Gypsy. She was a hoot. The Morning Show played Ethel every now and again. Gems like, "Anything you can do, I can do better," a duet with Bruce Yarnel.

In order to "warn" people that Ethel Merman was about to be played, the Morning Show guys developed a siren and warning that they played before her songs. The warning consisted of an alert that the next song was by a woman with a big voice, and might be a little jarring this early in the morning. (Tongue firmly planted in cheek, of course.) I loved the alarm. I think she would have gotten a kick out of it.

My mom got me an CD of some of Ethel's greatest hits for Christmas last year. It's a great album. I listen to it when I clean the house. Because washing the floor isn't so bad when you're belting (and I mean belting) out songs trying to mimic Ethel. I hadn't thought about Ethel in awhile. Or the Morning Show until I read about it's impending end. They were both on my mind when I got this e-mail from my mom this morning:

Kate,

On my way to work this morning (approximately 8:29), Dale Connelly read a request from a mother to her daughter who's birthday is today. The mother said that she has been listening to the morning show since Garrison and Jim Ed were together - 30+ years. (I could have been that mother writing.) She was requesting a song for her daughter who turns 34. I made me think of you. Ethel Merman singing 'I Can Do Anything Better Than You'. Jim Ed announced that there was a "Merman Alert". I had forgotten there was a Merman Alert and buzzer noise! How many 30+ year olds out there even know who Ethel Merman was let alone know how she sang! The Morning Show made us better informed listeners!

Love, Mom

I teared up a little. It was one of those things that made me smile. A little happy, a little sad. But all good.

No comments: