Monday, November 3, 2008

At some point silence is a lie

I've been getting those vicious, viral anti-Obama e-mails from someone in my network of friends and family. I'm not sure if this person doesn't know my political views, or is trying to change my mind, or is just hitting "Forward" over and over. But in the interest of freedom of expression, and peace and harmony, I didn't say anything. I would sigh heavily, especially at the insanely ludicrous ones, and hit "Delete".

It's the day before election day though, and I'm starting to get anxious and a little edgy. So when I got yet another one today questioning Obama's patriotism (when in doubt - accuse them of being unpatriotic!!!) I couldn't bite my tongue anymore. I had to say something. Because at some point silence isn't keeping the peace. It's a flat out lie, and part of your soul dies. So I tried to pick my words carefully, because I've had experiences in my life where words on paper have had unintended consequences.


This is what I wrote:

XXXXXXXXX,

I cannot vote this year because I did not register for my MN absentee ballot in time and in Hawaii you must register 30 days in advance of the election. That breaks my heart because I want nothing more than to vote for Obama this year so I can someday tell my kids that I voted for change, for something different than the old guard that has made my country an enemy to some parts of the world and that has turned its back on people here in the U.S. that need our help. McCain is a good man who served our country admirably, but I do not want him to be president, nor his party in charge of our country for another four years.

I appreciate that you share your political view with your friends and family, and I have remained silent in regard to the anti-Obama e-mails leading up to the election, but I had to say my peace. There is more than one way to be a patriot, and more than one way to love this country.

Sincerely,
Kate


What good are your beliefs and your principles, unless you're willing to say what they are? I am eager to see what tomorrow brings because every election day is a national holiday in my mind. It's a celebration of what makes this country great. We've got problems, yes, and the system isn't perfect. But it's pretty damn good and as long as we keep trying to make it better, I think we'll be okay.

3 comments:

Austin Gorton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Austin Gorton said...

Let's try that again...

You go girl! Your email was very diplomatic while still getting the point across. I'm not sure I could have been as restrained.

Good point about silence, too. As some famous philosopher whose name I forget once said, all it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing. Not that McCain is evil, per se, but you get my point :)

If I could have cast two Obama votes this morning, one for me and one for you, I would have...

~ Jill said...

that gave me chills. you rock!