Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday wrap up

Zac and Toivo are curled up in the bean bag together. It's pretty cute. I can say that plainly, since Zac doesn't read my blog. As much as he tries to play off that he's a hardass when it comes to Toivo, Zac is kind of a softy when it comes to the dog. For example, Zac comes home from work and Toivo is sitting there wagging his tail with delight. Zac takes him outside to the backyard and romps around with him for a good 5-10 minutes. Also, the dog has never been allowed on the couch, bed or chairs. Out of nowhere about a month ago, Zac coaxes the dog onto the couch with us. The dog has now been granted opportunities on the bed and on Zac's bean bag. It's funny to look over at Zac and Toivo smushed together on the bean bag, dozing off in unison.

It's been a busy last week. I couldn't even figure out what I wanted to say about Obama's win. It was a lot to take in and digest. Both McCain's and Obama's speeches were exactly what I needed to hear from both of them. Both speeches were excellent and motivating. I'm looking forward with hope, and I'm willing to do some heavy lifting.

Saturday we had a BBQ at one of Zac's co-worker's house. It was a good time. A lot of work people were there, accompanied by their families. There was a ton of food and it was nice to sit back and socialize with people. I still find large social gatherings like that to be a bit taxing, and more "work" than "relaxation", but as you get to recognize more faces they become less so. Sunday Zac and I went to the marina and rented some kayaks. It's something that we've both been wanting to do and the marina is a great place to learn. It's tucked into Pearl Harbor, so the water is shallow and there are no waves or current. We tried out a tandem kayak and a couple of singles to get a feel for them both. It was a nice introduction - Zac is thinking we might need to invest in one.

Today I played hookie from work. One of the Navy wives (I'll call her Bernadette to protect identities) invited me to go with her and a couple of friends out to Waimea Bay. Waimea Bay is on the North Shore, which is ramping up for the winter surf season. The waves increase in size to the point that only experience surfers should be out there. Even being at the edge of the beach can be perilous if your not paying attention, as those waves got to be about 10-12 feet high and could crush you into the turf. We got out there around 9am, before the rush, and watched the surfers and brave souls who would bob around in the crashing waves. (You couldn't really swim - you just tried to move with the waves so you didn't get hurt.) We didn't go into the water. None of us were that confident. But we sunned ourselves and talked and read books or did crossword puzzles. Then we grabbed some lunch before heading back into town. I'm a little pink, but the sunscreen application intervals seem to have kept me from serious damage.

Bernadette is cool. I've only talked to her a couple of times, so when she asked me to go with today I felt like I really should say yes. I'm glad I did. We got to talk on the drive and at the beach. She is also a fairly-newlywed and doesn't have kids. She said that she's had similar issues getting to know people out this way. She liked the way things were at her husband's previous command, but Hawaii has been a little more of a challenge. I think she'll probably end up being one of the people I can talk to out here. That's comforting. But I still miss my friends back home. I told her that and she nodded. She knows the feeling. She had a life before the Navy too.

But it was a good day. I'm tired from the sun exposure. I think I need a nap like Toivo and Zac. I wonder if I can squeeze onto the bean bag too . . .

No comments: