Sunday, December 28, 2008

Quick Hits vol. 2

So the Vikings beat the Giants to take the NFC North and we're heading to the playoffs. I'm a Purple Fan, but this team feels like a one-and-done to me. Prove me wrong, Vikes. I'd be glad to be wrong.I received some Christmas cactus cuttings seven or eight years ago. They grew into a nice, healthy, green cactus, but last year was the first Christmas it actually bloomed, and even then there were only two or three blossoms. I couldn't take the plant with me to Hawaii, so I asked my Mom to house it until I can have it again. Of course this year it blooms like gang-busters. I love the color. Photo credit to Papa Ayers.Nothing says Peace on Earth and Goodwill to Men like boxing against your spouse on a Wii. For the record, I would have beaten Zac had I not dropped my remote at the last second. (I had him down to one last pie piece!) Instead of being courteous and stopping to let me retrieve it, Zac continued to wail on me, thereby knocking me out. And perhaps saving his manhood. Seriously, this is marital counseling, disguised as a game. And you get a nice upper body workout. A winner all the way round. Photo credit to Bernadette. Christmas dinner credit to her too. Yummy ham.Zac found this baby bird outside our door this morning. I don't know what type of bird it is, but I'm pretty sure he/she was born to the group of birds that nest up under the overhang of our roof. The little guy/gal couldn't fly yet, and was just hopping around on the lawn. Zac and I looked up and there were about six adult-sized birds staring intently at us. I'm sure they thought we were mean looking predators and that the baby was a goner. We decided to prove the birds wrong and work towards a harmonious relationship with our avian neighbors. We left the little guy/gal out on the lawn where he spent most of the day chattering happily.This isn't a scene from a romantic dinner. This is our living room Friday night because the ENTIRE island of Oahu lost power. 900,000 people with no electricity due to a couple of lightning strikes. We were out for dinner when it happened. Zac and I were fairly lucky in that were only lost power for eight or nine hours. There were other folks on the island that were without power for a day. It was an eerie, eerie night.

Last thing to note, Megan and Paul will be here tomorrow!!! Hooray! I am so excited to see them! I've missed them terribly and I know we're going to have a great week. We're even going to go to the Big Island to check out the volcano. They're leaving Lincoln with the Grandparents for the week, so I'm sure they're going to miss him terribly, but it will be good for them to have a couple days to sleep in. Yay family!

No comments: