Thursday, June 18, 2009

Brussels sprouts

You know how brussels sprouts are good for you but you really don't want to eat them? That's how I feel about the job fair tomorrow. I know it would be good for me, but I really don't want to go. [For the record, I thought it was brussel sprouts, but it is, indeed, brussels sprout.] I recently spoke with my friend and we're both wavering in our commitment to attending. Really the ball is in my court. If I decide to go, she'll tag along. If I decide not to go, we'll figure out some other way to burn a morning. I told her that I'd give her a call in a couple of hours with a final decision.

I took those couple of hours to check the websites of the employers that are going to be present at the job fair. I figured I should check to see what kind of jobs they might be hiring for. Interestingly, many of the websites have no positions posted. Hmmm. Makes me wonder what they're going to be hiring for if they have no openings. Or, alternatively, they do have openings but are keeping those openings secret. Tricky employers. Again, it's hard to hone my sales pitch to fit a job if I don't know what those secret non-open jobs are.

It's tough to get the motivation to look for jobs when you're pretty much content with the one you have. The only thing about my current employment is that it will eventually end, and the timeline is probably some time in the early fall. So this is like preventative medicine - looking for a job before I need it, instead of rushing to the ER of job-hunting-induced-panic once they tell me my services are no longer needed. It would be a very responsible thing to do, to find a job before becoming unemployed. Very adult.

But my inner three-year-old is wailing, "But I don't wanna! Wahhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Perhaps if I take a break for lunch I'll gain a better prospective on what I am going to do. But to heck with brussels sprouts. The inner three-year-old wants a grilled cheese.

No comments: