Monday, June 15, 2009

I suppose I should post something

I haven't had much to talk about lately, simply because it's all been fairly routine around here. My life lately has involved a balance of working, sleeping, eating, diving, racquetball, and socializing. I'm hoping to get some photos from Ken of our dives this weekend so I can post some of those. They were decent dives. We went to Three Tables for the first one and Electric Beach for the second. It seems like no matter how much I dive though, I forget how dehydrated I feel that day and the next. The salt, sun and exertion are a potent energy-drainer.

I was able to drop a couple pounds of weight for these last couple of dives. I had been diving with 18lbs attached to me; this time I went out with 16. They say that as you become a more skilled diver, you need less and less added weight to control your buoyancy. (There are people that dive with half of what I have.) Dropping the weight is also helpful because it means your air consumption is more efficient. I found that I had at least 200 psi more than usual left in my tank yesterday at the end of our dives. That's good because it means more time on the bottom looking at cool stuff in the future. I still need to get out on a boat dive, but I like how cheap it is just to walk into the ocean.

Not much else new to report. I'm still working from home, telecommuting back to my job in MN. I'm going to be going to a job fair on Friday with a friend, which should be interesting. I had one experience with a traditional job fair back in MN, and it wasn't a good one. I find them to be soul-crushing, and that's being generous. The employers know they have the upper hand (especially in this economy) and you have 20 seconds to try to convince them to interview you for a job (please, any job!) in their company. You don't know what jobs they have available or if you're even qualified. Despite the fact you're flying totally blind you have to keep repeating "I'm a team player, highly motivated and I am confident that I'm the best candidate" through a strained smiled. Oh, how I hate job fairs.

I looked at the list of employers that were going to be present and I didn't see any organization/company that I would be very interested in working for, but at the very least the day will give me a chance to dust off some of my work clothes that have been hiding in my closet for . . . .
yeesh. A couple of years? I'm not even sure that any of my grown-up clothes still fit. I think it might be time to run upstairs and start trying things on. If nothing fits I might have to go out and buy a new pair of slacks so I can wear them on Friday. And then put them back into the closet. The joys of working from home.

1 comment:

Austin Gorton said...

Oh, how I hate job fairs.

Oy, me too!