Monday, July 13, 2009

In lieu of substance, I give you photos! vol. 2

I wanted to put some content out quickly, instead of mulling over words, so here are photos from this weekend's two dives. Where did the photos come from? From my trusty little Canon Powershot. I bought the Canon underwater case for Zac for his birthday. Yes, I know that the case is for my camera, but Zac dives more often than I do so he will get more benefit from the case. Also, he's a great bottom feeder (i.e. creeps along the bottom of the ocean slowly and deliberately) and sees lots of cool things that I sometimes miss.

By the way - I kick funny. Not in the effective, Olympic-swimmer-style of kicking. I did not know this till I looked at the photos and videos from the camera yesterday. I was mildly embarrassed. Zac's response? "I just thought that's the way you kicked. I didn't know I was supposed to tell you you kicked funny." I feel that this tidbit of knowledge should have been disclosed to me sooner.The first dive was focused mostly on scenery. We went diving through the Cathedral near Three Tables. It is an amazing structure of lava tunnels with light that cascades through holes in the "ceiling". It's stunning.Bernadette and Ken were there. We also had two others in our dive group.
Zac. On our second dive we saw all sorts of fantastic wildlife.

A coronetfish. They're about four feet long. It's weird seeing something that long and that skinny swim by. They don't seem as skittish as some types of fish.
A seven eleven crab, tucked away.

An eel popping his head out to look at us, but still well camouflaged.

Cruising around.

I love sea turtles.

Last, but not least, a neat picture of a white tipped reef shark, courtesy of my fearless Zac. Actually there were two sharks tucked away in this cave, but it was tough to get a shot of both of them without getting uncomfortably close. Bernadette was the one who spotted them. This guy was a little intimidating, about four feet long, but he seemed content to hang out in his cave with his buddy. It is a rush to see them - equal parts awe, fear, and excitement.

No comments: