Monday, July 20, 2009

Zac is not a Potterhead

I love Harry Potter. The books. The movies. The general madness that surrounds all of it. I had the pleasure of working at Barnes & Noble for the release of all the books. As the hysteria around Harry Potter grew over the years our store began having midnight release parties (like many other places). However, the release parties we held at our store were fantastically GRAND. Some of the finest times I had the bookstore revolved around Harry Potter in one way or another.

I've got the collection of books on my shelf but instead of re-reading them before the opening of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince last week, I decided to re-watch the first five movies. Much to my surprise, my husband, Zac, was on board with my idea.

Zac is not a sci fi/fantasy kind of guy. Not at all. He's not really even that into super hero movies, which can usually be chalked up as a common denominator for most folks. Don't get me wrong, he loved "Iron Man", but he doesn't quite get comics or their avid fans. Despite the fact that he doesn't really enjoy super heros, Star Wars or wizards he was game to watch FIVE Harry Potter movies in the space of SIX days.

His involvement in the marathon went something like this:

me: "Wanna watch a movie?"

him: "Sure."

me: [slowly, already wincing from his rejection] "How about the first Harry Potter?"

[pause]

him: "Sure."

[stunned silence]

me: "Really? You know I said 'Harry Potter', right?"

him: "Yeah, I'm okay with that."

I didn't take the time to double-check because I was afraid that he'd change his mind. I tossed in the movie and at the end he asked, "So are we going to watch the rest of them too?" Mind you not in a, "Ugh, we're not going to watch the rest of them, are we?" sort of way, but in a curious, almost hopeful, "I should at least get up to speed if we're going to #6" sort of way. So began almost a week of watching one Harry Potter per day. Zac actually asked questions as we went along, making sure he got all the plot points in order. Because of our program of HP Indoctrination, we didn't go see HPATHBP until yesterday, but the buildup was worth the payoff.

If you haven't seen the movie yet, do. It's great fun. Well, at least as fun as the rise of Voldemort and the Death Eaters can be. But there's snogging. And that's enjoyable.

So what I learned in the last week is that my husband is even more wonderful than I thought. He does that every now and again - surprises the hell out of me with something great. While he's not a Potterhead, he's cool with my HP geekiness and actually joined in for a while. As he has told me a few times when I get excited about Harry Potter, "You're a geek, but you're my geek."

[sigh]

I think I'm going to go snog my husband. :)

2 comments:

Molly said...

Ryan was the one to turn me on to HP, so it isn't hard to go to the movies with him... we haven't seen the recent one yet, but his sister said she was disappointed. I'm so out of the TV-loop (we haven't had regular TV in four years now, as we live amongst the bluffs so no reception--we've just relied on hulu and Netflix) that I thought it was the fifth one coming out. Sheesh

Austin Gorton said...

I loved the movie too. A few of their omissions were more problematic than usual, but I enjoyed it overall, and am super excited for the next two movies, in which they're pretty much planning on filming damn near everything.

Apparently, amongst the geek community, significant others of geeks who are not, in and of themselves, geeks but are interested in and supportive of whatever it is their sig other geeks out about are known as "Dr. Girlfriends" (from the fabulous and hilarious "Venture Brothers" show).

Obviously most of these Dr. Girlfriend are women (since, sadly, most hardcore geeks are men), so the term doesn't apply 100% to Zac, but it's close. :)