Tuesday, March 30, 2010

COMPASS class in review

The COMPASS class I took last week went pretty well.

That's the short version.

If you want the longer version, here it is:

First off, I'm still not sure why COMPASS is in all capital letters. Usually when something is in all caps it's an acronym for something. For example, MIDPAC stands for Middle Pacific, or RHIB stands for Rigid-Hulled Inflatable Boat (simply pronounced, 'rib'). COMPASS apparently doesn't stand for anything but it is named with all capital letters. The leaders of the class said the name comes from the idea that the class is designed to help spouses navigate the Navy, hence the directional instrument. But that doesn't really warrant all caps in my book. If it's not an acronym I think it should be "Compass". After all, we don't go around typing SEXTANT. (Especially in a digital world where all caps usually indicate yelling. COMPASS!!! SEXTANT!!!)

The class ran for three nights, three and a half hours per night. We covered a number of topics including Naval history and traditions, benefits, finance, moving, deployment and communication in relationships. Each topic was taught by a different volunteer. The class had 12 spouses in it, and by 'spouses' I mean 'wives'. There were two women who had only been married for three months to their sailors and some who were in the double-digit years. Most of us fell into the middle. It was a nice range. As the instructors periodically pointed out, even spouses that have been with the Navy for a long time can learn something new at COMPASS. (For example, this time around we learned that chaplains were not mandatory reporters - even the instructors didn't know that one.) I'd say I already knew about 60% of what they taught us. I was quite pleased with myself for having acquired much of that knowledge on my own over the last couple of years. I actually felt a little bad for the recently-married gals in the class because often times they looked a little dazed and confused by everything that was being thrown at them. Perhaps taking this class a few years on into the marriage isn't so bad.

One interesting aspect of the class was that we all called each other by our first names and we were not allowed to disclose our husband's rank. No officers, senior or junior enlisted in this class. Just wives. That was kind of refreshing, and particularly necessary really. I'm not sure you'd get the same kind of candor or friendliness between the wives if we all knew where our husbands were in the pecking order. Instead of focusing on just what you have in common with other officer wives or other junior enlisted wives, you got to focus on what you had in common with someone else who is married to a sailor - period. Because at the end of the day, they're all sailors and they all deploy.

I had more than a few good chuckles listening to the wives swap stories about their time in the Navy. It was like listening to Zac talk to his Navy buddies, except the wives aren't in charge of nuclear reactors or firing missiles or performing a non-compliant ship boarding. We all have our types war stories it seems.

There were a few low points to the class. Not really low points, more like disappointments. I was mostly disappointed in the segment of the class that dealt with Naval history and traditions. This included things like uniforms, rank structure, rates, etc. This is the topic I was most looking forward to. I was completely amped up for this topic. If I were volunteering for COMPASS, this is the topic I would beg to teach. It is so darn interesting. But, alas, the presenter didn't project much enthusiasm for the subject. How is that possible? Naval history is fascinating! There is so much neat stuff you could talk about. We didn't even listen to (or sing) "Anchors Aweigh"! And uniforms? I could talk about uniforms for days! Now maybe not everyone thinks history and traditions are as neat as I do, but, boy howdy, if I was teaching that subject you would know that I loved it.

If I taught that section of the class I would have a full size cut out of a sailor in a tropical uniform, just for giggles.




I laugh until I almost cry every time I see the tropical uniforms. Especially the Dinner Dress tropical uniform on the right. Look at that gold cummerbund shimmer! Why the guys don't wear these in Hawaii, I do not know. (After all, isn't Hawaii 'tropical'?) I really wish they would wear these. Zac, on the other hand, scowls every time I mention tropical uniforms.

Where was I? I got so distracted by the tropical uniforms . . .

Ah yes, so besides the history and traditions disappointment, overall the class was really well done. You could really tell that the volunteer enjoyed presenting the materials and were genuine in their desire to share information with people. In order to be a COMPASS mentor (the people that teach) you have to have been married to your sailor for at least three years and been around for at least one six month deployment with him (and take the mentor course). Zac and I haven't been married that long, and I'm not sure that El Salvador would count as a deployment, but I think I'll help them out with the support staff positions that they have. (For example, some people make food for each class session, others update materials.) Hopefully at some point I'll be able to be a COMPASS mentor, and maybe they'll let me teach the Navy History and Traditions Unit.

I even promise not to laugh at the tropical uniforms!


[reconsidering]


Nah. I'll continue to laugh at those.

1 comment:

Austin Gorton said...

The history/tradition/uniform stuff would be the most interesting for me, too.