Thursday, March 18, 2010

I'm B-O-R-E-D

I'm bored. I've nothing really worth blogging about. Since this blog has turned into a way for people in my life to keep up with me, as opposed to me complaining about one thing or another, it is hard to blog about the normal day-to-day goings on.

Here's my day: I wake up, I brush my teeth and make some coffee, I turn on the computer and check out my usual 10-15 websites to catch up on news, I drink the aforementioned coffee while I work for a few hours, I eat lunch, I crochet for an hour or maybe read, I go back to working for a couple hours, Zac gets home, we discuss his day, we make supper, we watch tv or something from Netflix, sometimes play a game of cribbage during the show, and then go to bed. That's pretty much it every day. My job is the same as it was a few months ago, so is Zac's. Toivo is the same. No, I'm not pregnant. The new dog, Zoe, arrives next month. And that's about it. With nothing new to report it gets to be a chore staring at a blank blog screen, waiting for inspiration to strike.


Next week I'll be taking a COMPASS class, which I hope will give me some topics worth blogging about. Here's the description of the class:

COMPASS is a standardized Team-Mentoring program developed by spouses for spouses. COMPASS focuses on spouses new to the Navy, however; ALL Navy spouses are welcome. COMPASS improves quality of life through education, enabling spouses to understand, experience and meet the challenges of the Navy lifestyle. With this knowledge and realistic expectations, their journeys can be successful and rewarding.

COMPASS is a 12-hour program taught in three four-hour sessions. With Mentors acting as discussion leaders, participants are encouraged to ask any questions they may have in a non-judgmental climate. Participants are introduced to many aspects of the Navy. The standardized curriculum includes need-to-know topics such as the Navy mission, history, organization, customs and traditions, rights and benefits, deployment, pay, moving, interpersonal communication, and investing in self and community.

Another important benefit of COMPASS is the opportunity for spouses to establish a peer network. Because experienced spouses pass on their Navy lifestyle insights, the concept of "helping others to help themselves" is clearly observable and becomes an on-going action-oriented process.


I'm looking forward to the class as it sounds like it might have some useful information. I am a little perturbed that I never would have heard of this class had Zac's CO's wife not mentioned it to me while I was being interviewed to be ombudsman, more than two years after I "joined" the Navy. This class is designed for new Navy spouses? Perhaps the Navy could have sent me some info on the class, oh, say, back when I married the Navy?

The Navy has a computer system that gets updated when a sailor gets married, so maybe, just maybe, the system could send the new spouse a post card with some information on it. Information like, "Welcome to the Navy, here are the top three phone numbers and websites that new spouses have found helpful", or, "We have a class specifically designed for people like you. Here's how to sign up." But no. That would be too complicated. The Navy would rather let Zac and his clueless spouse figure it out for themselves. If we miss out on information, benefits or educational opportunities that's our own fault.


At least I'll get the opportunity to learn this stuff now. And as most people know, I do love learning things. Yay, school! I hope I have to take notes. I haven't taken notes in quite awhile. I bet I'd get a hand cramp, as I'm out of copious-note-taking practice. I'm excited at the prospect of the familiar pattern of scribble, scribble, scribble, pause to shake the hand out vigorously, scribble, scribble, shake. Hmmm, "learn", "love", "hope", "note-taking", "excited"? Sounds a great remedy for boredom.

1 comment:

Judy Ayers said...

It seems to me that it is on you to tell the Navy that they have the resources to let new spouses know about this class and how they should do it. Mom