Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Great Unpacking of 2008

Tuesday morning we checked out of the Navy Lodge and got the keys to our new place. A little later that morning all my stuff from MN arrived. It was weird seeing my things out of context. This isn't where they belong. Yet. There apparently is one box missing. When they packed us up they put numbers on all the boxes and listed the numbered boxes and a brief description of their contents on a inventory. When they were unloading the van they would call out a number and I'd check it off the inventory. When we finished I didn't have a check mark next to box 349. It was described as a box of books. Not surprising. I had about a dozen boxes of books. I was rather amazed at the quantity. The moving guys and I did another run through of the boxes to see if we could find it, but didn't. So I'm triple-checking as I unload my boxes, but I still haven't found it. It's a weird feeling, because now I want to know what specifically was in the box. If I hadn't known it was missing, it probably wouldn't be on my radar. Like most of this stuff. Out of sight, out of mind.

Slowly, slowly, we've been unpacking. I've been washing the dishes and pots and pans as I unpack them. At least I know everything is clean this way. I'm also going through the pains of making sure that all the Tupperware is in good condition and has a matching lid. I suppose I could have done this before everything got packed back in MN, but here I have more room to spread out and the time to do it. The goal for this week is to go through the boxes of books, pick which (if any) I'm getting rid of, and going through my boxes of files. Papers and books. It's kind of nice to have the excuse to really go through things. I've got enough projects to keep me busy for a good long time -- organizing everything, photos, my arts and crafts stuff.

We got a tv. An obnoxiously large tv. It's almost as large as I am. Zac decided we couldn't wait until the end of November for his tv to arrive from OK. (Turns out they just released his stuff from OK, so we won't see that until Nov. 21 or so.) We've been able to watch football this weekend, which was nice. This is the second day in a row that I was downstairs at 7:30 watching football. This is ridiculous. Hawaii played a home football game last night, but they show those on PPV so I couldn't even watch a live football game when it's a stone's throw from here. Weird. Thank god for Hawaii volleyball which is fun to watch, and half the time it's live and in our prime time.

Zac and I have been playing a lot of cribbage at night. He just finished up his two weeks of school and tomorrow he reports for work. Speaking of work, I need to shoot the people in Eagan an e-mail to see if I can start working. It's been five weeks without a paycheck. I'm not a fan.

No comments: