Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Blog for Choice

It's January 22nd and NARAL has asked supporters to blog about reproductive rights. The particular question they posed was:

What is your top pro-choice hope for President Obama and/or the new Congress?

I was going to address their topic, but instead I got distracted by this article I saw today on Startribune.com:

SUV smashes into Planned Parenthood in St. Paul

ARG! I get so frustrated when I read stories like that. I guess I should be grateful though, because this person's behavior reminds me how important it is to be vigilant about keeping reproductive choices available to all that need them.

I've been to the Planned Parenthood clinic in St. Paul. I've been verbally assaulted by people as I walked in. It's not a fun experience. And really, it's more baffling than anything. To be judged, solely because you're walking into a clinic, to be condemned, solely because you're walking into a particular clinic, is bizarre. They don't know me. They don't know who I am, or why I'm there. But clearly they are there to terrify me, or "save" me, most likely both.

I don't want laws to go into their homes and bedrooms and tell them what my God thinks they should (or shouldn't) be doing with their consenting adult partner. I don't tag along to their doctor appointments to tell them that their blood pressure medicine is unnatural and is interfering with God's plan for them. But day after day, month after month, year after year, there are people that are trying to get into my bedroom and into my doctor's appointments. If I'm willing to give them their privacy, why can't they extend me the same courtesy?

These bullies, because that's what they are - bullies - are out there in the world trying to intimidate patients, doctors, staff, schools, government and insurance providers into making a safe, legal abortion impossible to come by. And, frankly, I think many of us younger people have become complacent because we grew up post-Roe v. Wade. We just assume that our rights are protected, that the option will always be there for us, our friends, our family, our children.

I hope everything our mothers and grandmothers worked for isn't in vain. If you support a woman's right to choose, which is really a right to privacy, don't sit idly by and let the bullies have the only word. Donate, volunteer, call your legislator. Tell them how you feel. And in case you ever need a reminder of why it's important, go down to the St. Paul Planned Parenthood clinic and try to walk in the front door. You'll quickly be reminded that protecting our privacy didn't end 36 years ago with a Supreme Court decision.

Happy Anniversary, Roe v. Wade.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Go, Kate, go! I'm with you all the way! XOXO, Heidi

Austin Gorton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Austin Gorton said...

f you support a woman's right to choose, which is really a right to privacy

Yup, and in Bush's America, Privacy=Terrorism. Just ask the "Patriot" Act.

Crossing my fingers that things get a little better on both fronts in the next few years.