Monday, January 26, 2009

Gardening adventures

This fall Zac and I started our adventures in container gardening. We planted some vegetables and herbs back in October and I showed evidence of the tomato's progress back in December. Some of the herbs we initially planted have already run their course, but the tomatoes are just about ready. The two plants are over-grown and unruly and it takes a fair amount of effort to see how many tomatoes are actually there. I'd guess there are at least 25 between the two plants. Maybe more.

I suppose at some point I could read up on growing tomatoes to see if there are any tricks to the trade, but for the moment they seem to be coming along nicely and I'm daydreaming about how delicious they'll be.
Since the tomatoes seemed to be doing well, we decided to plant a few more things that we use regularly in the kitchen. Here are the jalapenos:
They're so cute. It seemed like it took forever for the plant to flower and then produce. But it's been worth it. Zac has heard that if you don't water a jalapeno regularly that the peppers get even hotter so we've been quite vigilant about watering this one regularly. The two peppers we got from it so far have a nice heat to them, without being over the top.

These are the latest additions to the container extravaganza. The two plants in the foreground are bell peppers. In the background you can see our spinach popping up. I'm going to have a hard time being patient waiting for the bell peppers to grow. I love bell peppers.

Once I get a shiny, red tomato off the vine you can be sure I'll be posting about that.

1 comment:

Austin Gorton said...

Be sure to water those bell pepper plants, a lot. They need a TON of water.