Saturday, July 5, 2008

Back to San Sal, and not sunburned

Got home from the coast a little bit ago. I'll probably write more about it tomorrow, or when I get home, depending when I can load photos. It was amazing! Zac found this great little resort right on the beach where we could sit in the restaurant and sip on rum drinks while watching the surfers ride the waves. The ocean is a pretty awesome thing, in a very literal sense of the word. The power of the surf and the waves crashing can be humbling. It was a nice transition into a Hawaii state of mind. We met a lot of interesting people -- Americans, Israelies, Germans -- lots of good conversation. Everyone was really friendly, including the staff of the resort who were fantastic. They were very helpful and gracious - I'd go back.

One strange thing, it's always odd when you're at the beach and you feel strangely secure because there's a guy working security for the resort with a shotgun watching over you. Friendly bloke, but he's carrying a shotgun. It's definately something I've become comfortable with quickly. Men with guns are a good thing. It's bizarre. I'll go more into it later on. I'm sure most of it is just keeping up the appearance of being secure, but the intimidation factor is certainly there.

No comments: