Tuesday, August 5, 2008

GD Twins are breaking my heart

Just got home from a night at OC with Autumn. Andy was tending bar and we had the Twins vs. Seattle on one tv and Detroit vs. the White Sox on another. Not a bad way to spend an evening. Except if you lose. [sigh] In gut-wrenching fashion. [double sigh] I spent most of the off season prepping myself for a baseball season of mediocrity and the occasional win. Little did I know that we'd be battling for first place in the AL Central come the first part of August. So reluctantly I have built up my hopes for this team. At first I was happy with the wins, the 'over achieving' that we seemed to be doing. But then I got used to it, and I expected to win. And now each loss is killing me. My boyfriend, Justin Morneau, is still on fire, but the bullpen is unwatchable. It is the main source of my pain. Would it kill you guys to figure out who amongst you has the testicular fortitude to pitch in the 8th inning??? Arg! I can't even continue discussing it. It just hurts.

It was good to see Autumn. I don't see her enough. Hopefully we'll be able to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics on Friday together. That's her thing. She's an Olympic nut. It's endearing. She knows more about the Olympics, and the television coverage, than anyone I know. I can't help put ride her enthusiasm every two years to watch obscure sports. Tonight she reminded me, with glee, that the countries are introduced at the opening ceremonies with the last host (Greece) going first and the host country (China) going last. Everyone else is in the middle, introduced alphabetically. And at that point she pointed out, "Who knows what order they're going to come out in??? Do you know the Chinese alphabet?" I thought back to the Greek Olympics and remembered how random the countries seemed, as the Cyrillic alphabet is different than the Roman and how they named countries differently. Suddenly the chaos of the Chinese alphabet was really mesmerizing. I retorted, "I'm not sure they have an alphabet. It's a communist country. All letters are equal." And then we giggled about how the hell you'd organize a bookstore if you didn't have an alphabet.

Then baseball started, and we were into that. Autumn is one of my few female friends who likes sports, and sports-talk radio, as much as I do. We bounced between discussing work and throwing our hands in the air in rejoice and despair as the two games unfolded between the two screens. Finally we had to go. I listened to the game on KSTP on the way home, hoping that the Twins would put together some sort of 9th inning heroics. But no. Just another crushing defeat. If they were going to toy with my emotions like that I wish they would have told me ahead of time. This is just cruel.

But overall, it was a good night.

1 comment:

Austin Gorton said...

Laughed out loud at your "all letters are equal" comment. Well done.

Talk about changed expectations with the Twins. Amazing what happens when Detroit and Cleveland fall apart and the Twins don't suck quite as much as expected.

I fear we don't the necessary 1-2 punch at the front of our rotation to last in the playoffs, but as far as making it to that point, I think it's all going to come down to whether or not the White Sox can homer themselves past their deficiencies better than we small-ball ourselves past ours.