Sunday, August 24, 2008

We're all married!

The Fair was a success. We spent six hours out there with Megan, Paul and Paul's brother, Brian. I could have put in another six hours, but that's because I'm a seasoned veteran of the all-day Fair experience. Zac hasn't had the years of training that it takes to balance the amount of time on your feet with the amount of food in your belly that allows one to be at the Fair from morning til night. My only regret is that I didn't get to have one more Fair Day with Autumn. She and I have gone to the Fair together for maybe three, maybe four, years in a row. Always a good time. I'll miss that. Maybe I can fly back next summer and we can go.

Yesterday was Cassie and Dominic's wedding. So it's official. The Four Granddaughters, Kristy, Cassandra, Megan and I are all married. How weird is that? None of us share a last name anymore. It was a beautiful ceremony. Aesthetically is was gorgeous. I had no doubt it would be. Cassie has an excellent eye for putting things together. Her outfits are always classy and fashionable. She mixes colors and patterns and textures really well. I knew that she would look stunning on her wedding day, and that her wedding party would look amazing. She didn't disappoint. The ceremony was moving. I cried. Of course. I'd probably cry anyway, but with my emotion-meter already running at a high level, I was a shoe-in for the waterworks.

After the wedding we headed up to a place in Brooklyn Park for the reception. We had some food a few drinks, danced a little. It was a really good time. It was so great having Zac there. I've spent so much time describing things to him, in letters, in e-mails, on the phone. For a long time it's been me relaying the stories to him. And this time around he gets to be part of the story. Like right after the wedding, we were outside the church milling around the stairs. My Dad had Lincoln and decided to sit down on the stairs. So Dad sat down on one stair, and he had Lincoln sit down on the stair in front of him. Zac looks at them and says, "Look at that potbelly!" referring to Licoln. Of course Dad seizes upon the opportunity and yelps, feigning hurt, "Gee, thanks a lot, Zac!" Zac turned red and stammered, "Lincoln, I was referring to Lincoln!" Dad played it for a few more seconds, "Yeah, right. Try and back out of it now!" Dad's howling with laughter, Zac's doubled over. It was good. It was good to see my Dad and my husband joking around.

So today is the BBQ at my parent's house. I'm really looking forward to it. It will be a good time. And it will be emotional. But I think it's going to be a great way to say "see you later" to people.

1 comment:

H said...

Remeber... there's no crying in baseball...