Thursday, June 26, 2008

Afternoon games have their drawbacks

The Twins played in San Diego this afternoon which was great because I could follow the game online at work. That meant a welcome distraction from actual work. However, it means that I'm at a loss as to what to watch this evening as I work on Holly's baby blanket for Samantha. I use the tv as background noise/occasional visual distraction when I crochet or cross stitch. Yes, I said crochet and cross stitch. I am uber-1940s-domestic sometimes. Either the craft is the excuse to watch tv, or tv is the excuse to do crafts. Not sure which. Regardless, I didn't get Holly's son's gift to him until he was three years old. Her daughter is a few months old right now, so I'm already ahead of schedule. I know of at least three more babies arriving in the next few months that I'd like to make blankets for. If the TSA lets me bring my crochet hook on the plane, maybe I'll work on it on the way down to El Sal.

Yes, I'm going to El Sal next week to visit Zac. Excited beyond comprehension. What is it? Six days now? I'm getting restless and I'd like to pack right this moment if it were practicable. I'm itching to break up the monotony of the last weeks post-softball. A vacation. I can't think of the last time I took a vacation. For rest and relaxation. With no other agenda than to enjoy myself. What a peculiar idea.

It appears my employer will keep me on until the end of August, when I cease working. I'm glad for that. Apparently I'm employable. Nice to know. Hopefully at some point this project will be done and my fearless overlord of the basement, Jill, will be able to return to the land of the windows up on second floor with the other real-live Thomson employees. Instead she now toils in the basement, forced to babysit us temps, many of which leave job skills to be desired. She brought me pizza the other day. She is a kind and sharing overlord. I'll have to make something of equal worth as pizza to share.

Had to reschedule with Heather, because I'm lame. I'll be hanging with her on Monday. That should be fun. I got to hang with Sara, Heidi and Bianca last week. Autumn this week. Clearly an additional day of the week for spending time with friends would be useful, especially when you're facing only 60 or so days left in the same state. The panic button has certainly been pressed.

No comments: