Sunday, June 22, 2008

In lieu of substance, I give you photos!

First off, I just went back and read my entry from yesterday. There are certainly pluses and minuses about writing when you're upset. And there are even more pluses and minuses about posting it where people you know can read it. But I feel better after I vent here or in my journal, so the post is going to stay up.

Okay, on to some other things. I need to get rid of my cats. We've decided to bring Toivo, the dog, with us to Hawaii. However, I've decided that we can't bring the cats. There are importing to Hawaii pet issues, but more importantly is the fact that Zac is allergic to them. I've been meaning to get off my butt and post some signs around the neighborhood, or hop on Craigslist and post something, but I haven't. So I'll just talk about them here for a second. As kind of an ode to them.

They have been indoor cats their whole lives, save the three months in OK. They both have all of their claws, but as long as they have a scratching post (or two) they stay away from furniture. They both usually come when called. They will climb on tables unless you patrol them and spray them with water regularly enough to train them. Alan is worse at this. Lately he's been incorrigible. I'm not sure why he's been such a pain lately, but the spray bottle has been getting a lot of work.


Alan is dumb as a stump. But lovable. He craves attention and wants to be close to you, even putting his head under your chin. He likes to "talk" to you, but he's not obnoxiously loud. He's really uncoordinated for a cat. He occasionally misjudges jumps, leading to some pretty funny results. He loves everyone and is quick to adjust to a new environment. Tends to lay down in the middle of a room, in the spot where he is most in the way. Frequently underfoot. Likes other animals, dogs and cats. Likes to play with other animals and is comfortable with my dog chewing on his head. When he lays down, his paws are always crossed, in a very regal pose.


Nala is my baby. I got her as a kitten. She's skittish. A princess. Neurotic. Bossy. Wonderful. She likes attention, but on her time and at her pace. She rarely sits on people's laps unless she's anointed you as a chosen one. She lived with me and my Grandpa for 2.5 years and she sat on his lap once. It was a big day for Grandpa. She likes to curl up with me, so it is possible for her to like someone. She chirps like a bird - rarely meows. Except every now and again she'll sit in a room and meow, like she's lost, or looking for everyone. If you say her name she'll stop and come to you. She's fat. Shaped like a raccoon. She hated Alan the first three days we had him. By day four they were curled up together. She hated the dog for the first few years we had him. Actually, I think she still doesn't like him. I think she merely tolerates him.
So those are my cats. And if anyone knows of a good home for them, let me know.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Helloooo, Kate!

Oh, Nala and Alan are SO cute! I hope they find a good home -- one where they can stay together.