Friday, June 13, 2008

Almost forgot I had a blog

Softball? Done.

Nephew? Five months old.


Days til Zac get to MN after finishing up in El Sal? 69.

Not much else new to report. Hence the lack of entries. I've been lacking the ability to write about the usual and mundane. Softball came and went. The weather was abysmal this spring leading to multiple cancellations and reschedules. (More than usual anyhow.) But we did get some games in. All in all it was a pretty good season. Each season brings it's own cast of characters and drama, so no matter how prepared you think you are there will always be a hiccup or wrench to remind you how interesting high school-aged athletes can be. The picnic was last week. Bittersweet. It's nice having my afternoons and evenings back, but I miss the chaos and the girls. And there was some sadness as I looked around at the kids and their families. "I love this," I thought. "I love all of this." And I took a deep breath to take it all in, because I knew it was the last time I'd be a South High softball coach. It kind of broke my heart, but I'm grateful that I had one more year.

One Saturday afternoon, Megan and I talked about coaching for South. We wondered if we'd have the patience, the energy, the time to coach softball at a different school. Part of the reason I am willing to give my life over to softball each year is because it's my school as much as it is the girls'. And it's my city. If I wasn't representing the City of Minneapolis, and South High School, I'm not sure that softball would be enough to motivate me to coach. I love the sport, but I don't think that would be enough on it's own. I suppose there's a possibility that I might coach softball again in the future in some other place, but I don't think so.


So now I need to start looking for jobs in HI and prepping for the move. The Navy apparently thinks it's fun to keep first-time movers in the dark as long as possible. It's not like they move people by the thousands every year and could throw me a bone or something. Somewhere a paper pusher is laughing maniacally at my expense. Yeesh. So I will continue to hope that I'll get a be-packed-by date soon. It looks like Zac will be up in MN at the end of August so we can spend some time here before moving on to Nebraska for awhile and then to the West Coast to deliver the vehicle and then to Hawai'i. I don't mind flying by the seat of my pants sometimes, but a plan isn't always a bad thing.

No comments: